(Makes about 24)
3 egg whites
½ teaspoon of cream of tartar
1 tablespoon of sugar
300 milliliters of sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 teaspoon of lemon zest
400 grams of sweetened shredded coconut
7 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (325ºF).
- Beat the egg whites in an electric mixer on low.
- Once the whites are broken up, add cream of tartar and sugar. Increase the speed to medium and beat until the whites are frothy.
- Add the vanilla extract and lemon zest into the condensed milk, stir.
- Stop the electric mixer and fold in the condensed milk mixture.
- Add coconut and mix well. The coconut should be evenly coated.
- This part is important! Let the mixture sit for 10-15 minutes over a sieve. The excess liquid will drip out.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Place twelve evenly spaced heaps (about one tablespoon) of the coconut batter on each tray.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, there should be some browning on the tops and edges of the macaroons. Let them cool before taking them off the parchment paper.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler over low heat or in the microwave. Dip half of each macaroon into the chocolate. Or drizzle the chocolate over. Allow the chocolate to set and serve when cooled.