What I had in mine were the Smitten Kitchen cheddar swirl breakfast buns. I remember having them at the blogger brunch years before and have been waiting for a good time to make them. I guess this was as good as any other time. I also want to make that apple pie from the brunch one day!
Recipe adapted from The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook
(Makes 12 buns)
3 cups of all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon of salt
1 tablespoon of sugar
2 1/4 teaspoon of instant yeast
1 cup of milk
4 tablespoons of melted unsalted butter
1/2 cup of grated white onion
1 1/2 cup of grated cheddar cheese
2 teaspoons of minced fresh dill (I omitted this)
1/4 teaspoons of salt
- Whisk the flour, salt, pepper, and sugar in a bowl. Set aside.
- In your stand mixer, whisk the yeast with the milk until it dissolves. Add in the dry ingredients and melted butter.
- Using the dough hook, mix on low for about 6 minutes.
- Place the dough in a covered bowl and let it rest for 2 hours.
- Make the filling by mixing the onion, cheese, (dill if using), salt, and pepper together.
- Scoop the dough out and roll out into a 12-by-16 rectangle on a floured surface (or baking pan in my case).
- Spread the filling over the rectangle dough and roll into a log.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the log into twelve 1-inch bun.
- Line the bottom of a baking pan and arrange the twelve buns, with some space in between them. Cover with plastic wrap and let it rest for another two hours.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F, bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the tops are golden and the cheese is bubbling. Serve right away!