WE'VE MOVED

Hello!

Thank you for the amazing 8 years here at A Baked Creation, we can't thank you enough for the memories! But we've decided to move over to a new site - Sincerely, Syl. Please join us there for future posts on all the things you loved here!

Sincerely,
Syl

Sunday, October 18, 2009

NYC Cupcake Tour: Day 2

Day 2 of my trip in New York! Please remember, these are based on my own experiences and are in no means an overall critique of the bakeries. So I wake up, take a subway, turn a corner and what do I see?

Cupcake Cafe
18 West 18th Street
New York, NY 10011

Cupcake Cafe and Books of Wonder

A cupcake shop and a children's bookstore together? Um... did I just walk into my-dream-come-true? Yes. Yes I did. Great set-up with comfy chairs and tables in the cafe. This is a gazillion times much better than having a Starbucks attached to a Chapters/Indigo. And can I rave about how pretty these cupcakes are? These are piped buttercream flowers. Sometimes exotic flowers. Sometimes two-toned buttercream. I truly appreciate the time spent on decorating the beautiful cupcakes and cakes.

Can't get bored staring at this display case!

Chocolate Cupcake with Mocha Buttercream

Flavour tried: Chocolate Cupcake with Mocha Buttercream. Delicious and moist chocolate cupcake. I like how they had cupcakes in room temperature if you were going to eat there and chilled cupcakes in the display case for take-out.
Frosting: Wow, very smooth mocha buttercream. This was the smoothest buttercream I tried from the whole trip. It could have had more mocha flavour, but applause to the non-grainy feel of icing sugar!
Presentation: GORGEOUS! There was a freaking orchid piped on this cupcake!!!


Cupcake Stop
Truck stops at various locations.
Follow them on twitter for updates!


Walking around the Flatiron Building and what did I spot??? Cupcake Stop! I literally jumped up with joy and joined the line. Mobile cupcake shops are awesome!


Flavours tried:
Pumpkin and Oreo cupcakes. Pumpkin was good but the Oreo was very dry!
Frosting: The Pumpkin was tasty but the Oreo was simply sweet, not much Oreo taste.
Presentation: Love the cute mini cupcakes and happy that a piping tip was used for the cupcakes! Look at that lovely orange pumpkin tip.

Burgers & Cupcakes
265 West 23rd Street
New York, NY 10011

Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcake

Flavour tried:
Mint Chocolate Chip. I know it says "mini" in the photo, but to me, those were the regular sizes I bake in. So imagine how big the regular sizes were... The cake itself was okay, I think it was just white or vanilla cake.
Frosting: Very grainy, I could feel the texture of the icing sugar. I could smell the mint flavour just holding the cupcake in front of me. There was a few chocolate chips on top. Overall, I did not enjoy eating this cupcake, it was too much frosting and it felt like I was eating mint flavoured toothpaste.
Presentation: The cupcakes were frosted with an interesting pointy look. Like mini mountains of frosting. No photo of the actual cupcake I ate, since she placed it in a paper bag upside down. It was smushed when I took it out. =(

Way more photos posted on our facebook page!
<<< NYC Cupcake Tour: Day 1
>>> NYC Cupcake Tour: Day 3

2 comments:

  1. You forgot the best part of Cupcake Cafe. They have dancing cupcakes that glitter and flash some leg!!

    *Unless they are no longer there... which would be heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristi(e) - Oh, not to worry, they were still there!! I posted photos of the dancing cupcakes on facebook. =)

    ReplyDelete