WE'VE MOVED

Hello!

Thank you for the amazing 8 years here at A Baked Creation, we can't thank you enough for the memories! But we've decided to move over to a new site - Sincerely, Syl. Please join us there for future posts on all the things you loved here!

Sincerely,
Syl

Sunday, October 18, 2009

NYC Cupcake Tour: Day 3

The last day of my trip spent in New York City was a big cupcake eating day! Please remember, these are based on my own experiences and are in no means an overall critique of the bakeries.

672 Ninth Avenue
New York, NY 10036

I didn't actually plan for Amy's Bread, this was one of those lucky chances that I got to stop by and discover cupcakes. What caught my attention the most was their cupcake liners! I haven't seen those before, I wonder what they're made of?


The cupcakes were pretty, smooth swirls with sprinkles and confetti. If there was a unique flavour (other than vanilla, chocolate, and red velvet), I think I would have ordered one to try!

In their store window, there is a cookbook, The Sweeter Side of Amy's Bread. I think I will have to check that out in a bookstore soon!

Kyotofu
705 Ninth Avenue
New York, NY 10019


I was super excited for Kyotofu! A Japanese dessert bar and bakery that had very unique cupcake flavours. There wasn't a big sign in the front, actually there was no sign on the actual building. But I found it and was greeted with a smile. A clean open bar with desserts piled on. The other side was a kitchen with glass walls so you could take a look. No one was baking when I was there. =(


Flavours tried: I had to try more than one... Chocolate Soufflé Cupcake, Matcha Green Tea Cupcake, and Yuzu-Vanilla Cupcakes. Two thumbs up for these cupcakes. The Chocolate Soufflé was amazing - I understand why that one is an award-winner!
Frosting: No frosting! Which has me internally debating, is it a cupcake? Does it count if it doesn't have frosting? Does it make it a muffin?
Presentation: Had the mini ones that came in the paper liners. The regular sized cupcakes were wrapped in pretty patterned plastic. A very popular style even in the Asian bakeries in Toronto.

Crumbs Bake Shop
43 West 42nd Street
New York, NY 10036

I have a confession to make. This isn't the first Crumbs location I've been to. Upon arriving in New York on my first night, we had dinner at Maoz. After eating, we walked outside and I spotted Crumbs on 37 East 8th Street. Unfortunately, I was so full from the falafel that I couldn't try a cupcake. It was very sad.

The wonderful assortment at Crumbs.

Domo wants a bite of Crumb's Raspberry Swirl Cupcake.
Ate this treat in Bryant Park (anyone watch Project Runway?)

Flavour tried: Raspberry Swirl Cupcake. A good vanilla cupcake base.
Frosting: Deliciously sweet frosting with a swirl of raspberry on top. Then... nom nom nom and raspberry filling in the cupcake! It was so good!
Presentation: A good slab of frosting on the cupcake. They have other cupcakes with candy coverings and sprinkles, but this one had the simple mark of a raspberry.

Magnolia Bakery
1240 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10020

The line up for cupcakes!

The famous Magnolia Bakery, what cupcake crawl is complete without it? Well, friends were right. This place is very popular and packed. They even had a cupcake bouncer by the door! He was really nice and cut the line after we got in. =)

Pink Ribbon Cupcake

Four flavours to choose from.

Flavour tried: I couldn't really decide which flavour to pick. There were four flavours by the display glass where we all lined up against. So I went for the Pink Ribbon Cupcake - might as well support a good cause. The cake was good and moist. I would think they're pretty fresh after seeing the team constantly baking and frosting in the background.
Frosting: It was too sweet! I even ate the Pink Ribbon decoration. I thought it was some sort of candy or chewy sweet. After digesting it, I think it was sugar molded into the shape of a ribbon. Too much sugar for me here...
Presentation: A curl of frosting, sprinkles, and the sugar ribbon. Pretty in pink!


Buttercup Bake Shop
973 Second Avenue
New York, NY 10022

Last stop! I don't have a photo of the cupcake I ate here. I was told no photography after this photo below. But, you can see the Peanut Butter and Jelly cupcake that I had in this photo. With that being said, it isn't a good start if you've been scolded for having your camera out. But, service was still pleasant, I only wish they explained why I couldn't take pictures of their cute cupcakes? =(

Peanut Butter and Jelly Cupcake, second from the left.

Flavour tried: Peanut Butter and Jelly Cupcake. The flavour of the day!
Frosting: Sweet peanut butter frosting. As always, after eating peanut butter leaves me quite thirsty. Good thing they had a station for free water!
Presentation: A simple curl of frosting using a spatula. There were a few peanut butter chips sprinkled on top.

That ends my fun trip to New York City! I will definitely be going back next year. And if you want more, there are so many photos posted on our facebook page!
<<< NYC Cupcake Tour: Day 2

7 comments:

  1. Wow girl, you really hit 'em all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. justJENN - I tried... although there is probably more in the city!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lot of cupcakes ie. sugar! Wow, after reading your wonderful cupcake journey, I want to make a trip sometime to NYC...but it's only 20 hours away :) I tried the Magnolia recipe and found it a tad too sweet too...
    PS. Love your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You really did due diligence! I was in NYC in August and stopped in at Crumbs, Cupcake Truck, Butter Lane, Chikalicious and 2 Little Red Hens. The last one being my absolute favorite! Glad to hear I am not the only one insane enough to have planned a cupcake crawl during my short stay in NYC. Great photos and hope you had fun in the Big Apple!
    x Cat

    ReplyDelete
  5. sugarpie - 20 hours away! I took the bus and it was a long 10 hours ride. So my round trip was approximately 20 hours. Eks! Yeah, Magnolia was way too sweet for my taste. PS. Thank you!

    Little Miss Cupcake - Noted, will have to try Butter Lane, Chikalicious and 2 Little Red Hens if I visit NYC again. Yes, it is very settling to know we aren't the only ones that do cupcake crawls!! =) Syl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing! Great reviews and photos. I would love to go cupcake crawling in NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  7. kamailesfood - I would recommend doing the crawl! Most of the cupcakes are fresh since sooo many people go to these bakeries!

    ReplyDelete