(Makes one 9-inch pie)
Recipe from Perfect Pies by Michele Stuart
1 1/2 cup of graham crackers, finely chopped
1 tablespoon of granulated sugar
5 tablespoons of unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl, mix the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter together. If you have cracker sheets, you can use also place all three ingredients in a food processor to chop and mix. Or you can purchase the graham crackers already chopped, I've tried both methods and they work fine (see photos above).
- Spread the mixture evenly across the bottom and sides of your pie tin. Try using something with a flat bottom that you can use to press the crust firmly down. I use a measuring cup (see photo below).
- Bake the crust for 5 minutes and cool the pie shell for half an hour before adding the filling.
6 large egg yolks
3 teaspoons of key lime zest
2 fourteen-ounce cans of condensed milk
1 cup of key lime juice
- Keep your oven on at 350°F.
- Using an electric mixer fitted with the beater blade, beat the egg yolks, lime zest, and condensed milk together.
- Add in the lime juice and mix well until the filling is combined.
- Pour the filling into the graham cracker pie shell.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until the pie is firm in the middle, but still soft. Allow the pie to cool and set. Cover and place the pie in the freezer for at least an hour before serving.