WE'VE MOVED

Hello!

Thank you for the amazing 8 years here at A Baked Creation, we can't thank you enough for the memories! But we've decided to move over to a new site - Sincerely, Syl. Please join us there for future posts on all the things you loved here!

Sincerely,
Syl

Monday, February 15, 2010

CNY and VD

I managed to do a Chinese New Year (my year of the Tiger, growl) and a Valentine's Day treat in the kitchen yesterday. First, my mother taught me and Laura how to wrap Zong (I pronounce it joong in Cantonese). Mom prepared all the ingredients below:

Beans

Sticky rice

Zong leaves

Not pictured are the pork fillings (basically pork chopped into cubes). We had to learn the finesse of wrapping all the ingredients into the leaves, so that they stay intact for boiling.

We took one leaf, folded it into a cone shape and added the sticky rice and beans. Then we added one piece of pork.

Then, we covered the pork with more sticky rice. We use a second leaf to help cover the top.

Here was the fun part, wrapping the zong with string to keep it from bursting.

My first zong! Not very pretty and not in the ideal triangle shape.

We made a whole pot full! These are ready to be boiled.

Next, Laura and I made cupcakes!!! Initially, we were going to attempt the Sweet and Salty Cake from Baked. But, after wrapping zong and making lunch, we needed to hurry to make our dinner plans. So we made chocolate cupcakes with hazelnut buttercream - so rich and delicious!


Brooklyn Blackout Cupcakes

Recipe adapted from The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook
(Makes about 18 regular cupcakes)

1 stick of unsalted butter
1 cup of sugar
2 eggs
1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/3 cup of cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon of baking powder
3/4 teaspoon of baking soda
1 1/3 cups of all-purpose flour
2/3 cup of milk
  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and have all ingredients at room temperature. Also have your cupcake liners ready.
  2. With your electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together.
  3. Add in one egg at a time. Continue mixing until combined.
  4. Add in the vanilla extract, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix well.
  5. Pour in half of the flour and mix.
  6. Pour in all the milk and mix until combined.
  7. Finally, add in the other half of flour.
  8. Using an ice cream scoop, fill the liners to about 2/3 full, and bake for 20-25 minutes. Or until a cake tester comes out clean.
  9. Let the cupcakes cool before frosting.
Don't they look like Kisses?

Hazelnut buttercream
Recipe adapted from The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook
(Makes enough to frost 18 regular cupcakes)

1 stick of unsalted butter
2 cups of confectioner's sugar
2 tablespoons of milk
1/3 cup of hazelnut spread (like Nutella)
  1. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until smooth.
  2. Add in 1 tablespoon of milk, beat until combined.
  3. Add in the hazelnut spread and mix.
  4. Finally, add in the rest of the milk and beat until smooth and fluffy.
  5. Use a spatula or piping bag to frost your cupcakes.
We hope you have a wonderful long weekend!

P.S. My Valentine's Day card from Howard:

7 comments:

  1. Zong are my favorite things ever!!!! My "Popo" makes them every summer. And choco cupcakes too? Yesterday was like the best holiday combo ever! I'm the year of the pig, blah...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I love this blog! The photos are excellent, as indeed is the rest of it!

    Well done! Keep it going! Oh, and greetings from Nafplio (about an hour and a half from Athens), Greece!

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Scootbaker - I ate one today for lunch!! Do you add any soy sauce or sugar to the ones you eat? I definately sprinkle my zong with sugar. I sent our zong photos to my Popo, I think she'll be happy to see them. Year of the Pig is cute!!!

    cupcakes.gr - Thank you! And wow, Greece! My parents had a chance to visit there a couple of years ago (grrr that they didn't take me along). Thanks again for stopping by and writing. =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm waiting to see that Sweet and Salty cake, though these cupcakes look delicious too! I love anything that has to do with Nutella.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] - Maybe I'll do the Sweet and Salty cake in cupcake form? But the photo of the cake looks so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your step-by-step folding of the zong zi. I only know how to eat and not make them yet..LOL! Your chocolate cupcake looks delicious! :) Wish i could have one right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. faithy, the baker - Thank you!! Your blog is really amazing! I would love to visit Singapore one day...

    ReplyDelete