WE'VE MOVED

Hello!

Thank you for the amazing 8 years here at A Baked Creation, we can't thank you enough for the memories! But we've decided to move over to a new site - Sincerely, Syl. Please join us there for future posts on all the things you loved here!

Sincerely,
Syl

Monday, December 20, 2010

Orange Cupcakes with Vanilla Cream Icing


Hi! Around this time, Howard and I are flying over America, on our way to Las Vegas. I felt that I shouldn't go anywhere without leaving you some eye candy. So I made these cupcakes last Friday! We hope you love citrus as much as we do.



Orange Cupcakes with Vanilla Cream Icing
Recipe from Food & Drink (Spring 2010)
(Makes about 12-15 cupcakes)

Orange Cupcakes:
2 eggs
1/2 cup of unsalted butter
1 cup of granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
2 cups of sifted cake and pastry flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/2 cup of milk
1/4 cup of orange juice
1 tablespoon orange zest
  1. Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F) and have all ingredients at room temperature. Also have your cupcake liners and pans ready.
  2. If you forgot to take out the eggs to have them reach room temperature, place the eggs in a small bowl and cover with hot tap water.

  3. Beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy.
  4. Add in the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla.
  5. Mix the flour with the baking powder and salt. Sift the dry ingredients again.
  6. Combine the milk with the orange juice.
  7. Pour half of the flour mixture into the butter mixture, then half of the milk mixture. Repeat. Mix well.
  8. Add in the zest to the batter and mix until combined.

  9. Use an ice cream scoop to evenly divide the batter among your cupcake liners.
  10. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool before frosting.
Icing:
1/3 cup of cream cheese
2 tablespoon of unsalted butter
2 teaspoon of honey
3/4 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
pinch of salt
2 cups of sifted icing sugar
  1. Beat the cream cheese, butter, honey, vanilla, and salt together.
  2. Gradually add the icing sugar until it is smooth and creamy. Add a tint of orange gel colour if you like.
  3. Spread or pipe on cooled cupcakes.

Piping fail! My intentions were to pipe beautiful flowers and be all zen in the afternoon. Instead of reaching a calming state, I became frustrated with my lack of practice. It just looked like piles of... oh I don't know! I can just imagine how disappointed my Wilton instructor would be! I later smoothed out all the icing with a spatula. Do you ever do that? =)

I really liked the icing, it was quite delicious! The orange cupcakes had a wonderful citrus aroma with each bite. I personally found the orange cupcakes a bit dense due to my lack of sifting, but my mom and Howard both said it was fine.


We wish you a happy holiday season! We'll be home for Christmas, so come back to read about our adventures in Nevada!

19 comments:

  1. They look so yummy :))) i love oranges in cupcakes ;)) have a happy holiday season :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are so well decorated. Love orange in any desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I've done that...several times :-)

    I think they're still beautiful and they sound great to me.

    Have fun in Vegas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've found that you have to be in a good mood to have things turn out good Be Happy

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look gorgeous! I love orange baked into desserts :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. AH-MAZING! I love the photos AND the recipe!

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty! These cupcakes are gorgeous and look really delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will definitely try this cupcakes...I love orange in cupcakes, thankyou very much for sharing this recipe=)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried making these today and they turned out brilliant!! I'm so happy. Thanks so much for the wonderful recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just tried the recipe! It's amazing !! The taste is awesome!!!
    Thank u for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. No problem, thanks for your feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had a bunch of oranges from the local farmer's market and so I was curious to what I could make other than just OJ. Your recipe is fantastic and my family loved them, and were fighting over who got the last one! (you'd think they never get fed!)

    Thanks for this glorious recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so nice to hear!! Thank you for writing to let us know! =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. making them today!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just got back from Florida with a few oranges and wanted to see if there was a good orange cupcake recipe. Thanks for posting this. They turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Genny, thank you and don't be shy about sending in photos so we can see. =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello, Sylvia,

    My 2-and-a-half year old likes cupcakes and muffins... and when he wants them, he wants them NOW. :)
    Today, as he hungered and clamored for orange cupcakes, I quickly googled for orange cupcakes, and skimming quickly, found your recipe the most credible and appealing.
    They are baking right now, looking good. :) The little one's lost his patience already, so in case I don't get the time to write in later, thanks in advance for the tangy life savers!
    Regards,
    Shalaka

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Shalaka,

    You are the best mom ever! I hope the orange cupcakes satisfied your 2 and a half year old. =)

    Cheers,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete